One of my tasks was to get the plans for the 2009 remodel from the previous owners. After that, my task was to get them in electronic form so I could browse and archive them.
They're far too big to scan, so I taped them to a wall and took photos instead.
I learned some very interesting things from the plans. For example, the lower unit used to be a set of bedrooms connected to the second floor by a staircase, and the master bedroom had doors opening to the back yard, visible in the lower-left of this drawing.
I can't imagine it was built this way originally, because the first floor would have had a very low ceiling. Perhaps it was an awkward remodeling.
Either way, the people who sold it to me changed it considerably. They got rid of those bedroom doors and dug down when they redid the foundation, making the bedroom that's there now a much taller space.
Looking at the way the rooms were laid out before, I can see the previous owners made some really good decisions.
There were lots of walls ... a foyer, a "parlor", a living room, a dining room, and a kitchen, all divided off. They opened things way up and merged the kitchen, dining room, living room, and foyer into one space, and made the new living room into an area that could double as another bedroom.
One thing that's odd about these plans is that they specify a layout for the first floor - the lower unit - that must have been abandoned later.
At one point they were going to add two bedrooms to the house, but instead they closed off the stairs leading up from the bottom floor and divided the space into a garage and storage area on one side, and a kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom on the other side.
I was amused to see that the tiny L-shaped room on the third floor actually had been a bathroom, with external plumbing. Now it's a hidey-hole.
This afternoon I took delivery of a cat door. Yesterday I got a hacksaw, and I'm going to need to use it to cut the door to shape. I also received a big set of wire shelving today, and with that assembled I'm going to rearrange the garage and basement again, consolidating my bike gear, making room for tools, and freeing up space.
The work continues!