TV tropes. There is an entire site for this, and it is overwhelming.
So far the entries I have found most amusing are:
And on that subject: People have been mentioning the Manic Pixie Dream Girl in many places and given many examples, but I have not yet seen a bulleted list of traits she may or may not have. So, to get the ball rolling, here's my take on the defining traits of a Manic Pixie Dream Girl.The Manic Pixie Dream Girl
Things She Is:
- She is WAY into an indie rock band you've never heard of
- She is attractive, but not in a threatening way
- She has untreated Attention Deficit Disorder and/or Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- She may vanish without warning, only to return weeks later, like a housecat.
- She believes in you, even though you're sad and/or directionless and/or a wimp
- She has friends everywhere
- She is vulnerable, but resilient
- She is either:
- Without a boyfriend
- With a jerk boyfriend she will soon leave
- She is actually straight
- She is the person male screenwriters in their mid-30's wish they could have been
- She is Sandra Bullock in every movie Sandra Bullock has co-starred in, though she is not Sandra Bullock herself, because Sandra Bullock in person is actually the exact opposite of everything on this list (with the possible exception of being "actually straight".)
Things She Is Not:
- She is not intimidating. Even when she's furious, it's "cute".
- She does not think about her future
- She does not have a career
- She does not ever make demands, except that you improve yourself
- She never reads instructions
- She is not your girlfriend; but if you get a girlfriend, and it's not her, she will be mopey and jealous
Also amusing: A blog cataloguing applications of The Bechdel Test
, which is a test applied to feature films, and has three conditions:
1. It has to have at least two women in it,
2. Who talk to each other,
3. About something besides a man.
Of the two films I saw last weekend, Taken and Coraline, only one of them passed this test.
For contrast, I also recently re-watched several episodes of the - how shall I put it - Batshit Crazy anime known as Excel Saga
, and they passed this test easily, since the title character Excel loves to prattle on about her solemn duty to fulfill the destiny of her organization. Or something.